As someone who does a lot of networking, I’m often offering people my help. It’s amazing me how often people make it hard for me to give this help.
I can help you with your business.
One perfect example is that I regularly offer to promote another business and ask for an article or information (which will potentially get in front of over 37,000 people) and they either:
• Don’t respond / don’t send / don’t seem to want free advertising
• Put it back to me and tell me to go visit their website
• Give me a brochure and basically tell me to spend the time writing a great article about their business. They knew it was a no charge favour.
If someone offers to help you in any way, make it easy for them to do this by:
• Giving them what they need promptly.
• Following the parameters. If someone says 200 words then don’t give 800 words.
• Make it easy for them, don’t send them to your website but instead write the article, add any links, photos or logos they may need.
• Be thankful. It’s amazing how often I never get a simple thank you.
I write for a number of magazines, websites and organisations and everyone has their own requirements. I respect that and keep a list of what they are needing and I ensure every time I meet their needs. I do this whether I’m being paid to write or not paid – it not only is a reflection of the professionalism of the person, but makes me a business who is easy to deal with and then in future if someone needs something, they come to me.
If you want to be known as a professional and someone who can be approached with great opportunities for free promo, then ask yourself this ‘am I making it as easy as possible for this person to give me this opportunity?’
If you need to work out on making it easy on people to help you, I can guide you. Email me at email@example.com.